I have been working with a lot of beginners lately, and they all have the same question when it comes to woodworking. They all want to know what they should be making at first to help them develop their skills.
If You Like My Posts, You'll Love My Books
My answer is typically the same for everyone. Tools. Tools are one of the best beginner woodworking projects you can make.
Making Tools for Beginner Projects
As a new woodworker, one of the best beginner woodworking projects is really any wooden tool that you can make yourself.
Since you are brand new, literally anything you work on will help advance your skills. Anything.
This is a rare opportunity, since the more you learn, the harder it will be to challenge yourself later on down the road.
Free Woodworking Tips Every Monday
Making tools is fairly straight forward, and most of them are simple enough for even the most green of woodworkers. The best project for new woodworkers is a nice sanding block, and a hand plane.
Between these two projects you will have the opportunity to use several different tools. You will also practice several different disciplines along the way. Once you have your new tools, you will be more equipped for the future of your woodworking…because you now have more tools.
See Also: 8 Reasons I love Woodworking
Start with a Sanding Block
This block is made from figured Walnut, and I explain the entire process in another article if you want to make one for yourself.
A sanding block will make you a better woodworker, because you will sand better, and sand smoother. You will also sand with less effort, which makes this one of the best beginner woodworking projects. Most people just buy their sanding block. Please do not do that.
If you make your block, you will love it. Not only that, but you will use it more often, and it will mean more to you when you use it. The quote above sums it up perfectly.
When you make your own tools, not only do you learn about woodworking, but you end up enjoying the tool that you made even more than a store bought tool. You use it more. You enjoy it more, and you are a better woodworker because of it. It warms you twice.
Free Woodworking Tips Every Monday
Best Projects for Beginners Tips and Tricks:
Here are more tips to help you pick the best projects and get the most from your start in woodworking:
- DIY projects and wood projects are all fun to make, but they might not benefit you as much as making tools.
- While a sofa sleeve, wooden doormat, coffee table, or a wine rack would be fun beginner level projects, you will only get the one specific use from them. Tools on the other hand provide you with a lot of uses throughout their life.
- The best projects for beginners are tools, and making tools is your way of combining woodworking with getting more tools, which is a double win, and you get all of the benefit.
- Start with a simple wood type that you can find locally, and make some tools for yourself. You will be really glad you did.
If you have any questions on my Best Beginner Woodworking Projects, please leave a comment and I will be glad to answer them. Also, please share my work with your friends on Pinterest! Happy building.
- More than 20 Years Woodworking Experience
- 7 Woodworking Books Available on Amazon
- Over 1 Million Words Published About Woodworking
- Bachelor of Arts Degree from Arizona State University
I receive Commissions for Purchases Made Through the Links in This Post. Join My Woodworking Facebook Group