This video explains how to make a carbide lathe tool. These have exploded in popularity recently and for good reason. A carbide lathe tool makes it very easy for anyone to learn lathe turning. These tools function essentially as a scraper, but with the range of inserts available they are extraordinarily versatile.
The benefit to making a carbide lathe tool is that the price is much lower. Several carbide lathe tools can be made for the same price as one from a store. If you own a lathe (which you should if you are making tools for it) this is something you can make yourself easily.
The inserts can be found online at Global Tooling, or you can buy the inserts for the tools that are sold in woodworking stores. Either way, you will have what you need to make the tool in your shop. The steel for the bar came from Amazon, though this can be found locally.
This video shows how to make a carbide lathe tool, and it is easy to follow and learn from. Select your inserts first, then build the tool. Finally, give the tool a nice hand applied oil finish.
Lastly, my 10 Step Guide to Wood Finishing shows beginners how to finish wood. This explains how to use easy wipe on finishes to create a great look. Wipe on finishes make an expert finisher out of anyone, and are easy to learn how to apply.
Carbide Lathe Tool Making Tips and Tricks
Here are some great tips for making your own carbide lathe tools:
- Square shafted carbide tools sit better on the tool rest than round shafted tools.
- Get you carbide cutter or carbide insert online so you can get a deal on a bulk package.
- Wood turning tools and carbide turning tools are the same thing, one just has a carbide insert at the end.
- Carefully handle your inserts as the cutting edge is fragile.
- The learning curve on woodturning tools with a carbide tip is far less than traditional tools.
If you have any question on making your own set of tools after seeing the video, please Post a Question and I’ll be glad to help. happy building.
- More than 20 Years Woodworking Experience
- 7 Woodworking Books Available on Amazon
- Over 1 Million Words Published About Woodworking
- Bachelor of Arts Degree from Arizona State University
I receive Commissions for Purchases Made Through the Links in This Post. Join My Woodworking Facebook Group