The easiest way to know how many pieces of a fraction make a whole number is to look a the bottom number in the fraction. In this case 1/16 means there are 16 segments divided evenly into an inch, and we call them 16ths.
I’ve had this question before about other fractions, and when you are reading your tape measure, just remember that the bottom number in the fraction is what the whole inch is divided by.
Another example would be, there are 32 segments in an inch when you measure in 32nds.
For more about getting into woodworking, please take a look at:
- 19 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Woodworking
- How to Pick the Right Beginner Woodworking Project
- 50 Awesome Reasons to be a Woodworker
It’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the measurements on your ruler of choice, and in your system of choice. This way, you understand more just by looking and run into less frustration.
- 20 Years Experience in Woodworking
- 7 Published Books Available on Amazon
- 750+ Helpful Posts Written
- 1 Million+ Words Published
Please login or Register to submit your answer